Saturday, October 02, 2004

This Is For The Poor (Xfm Radio Session version) featured on NME free cd this week - how many versions have you got?

Dom's done a "Burn It" too with some pretty decent choices - nice one Dom - I guess it'll be my turn next!

Burn It : The Others - Dominic Masters on the songs that saved his life

Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
'When I was 13 or 14 and first getting into music, I'd got into a lot of Dylan and The Cure. But I was listening to Leonard Cohen when I was going through the break-up of one of my first relationships.
www.leonardcohen.com
Neil Young - Cortez The Killer
'Neil Young had just broken up with his wife, his bandmates' heroin addictions were kicking in, Bill, his best mate, had just committed suicide. Maybe he saw a parellel between him and the misery of the Incas.
www.neilyoung.com
Sonic Youth - Dirty Boots
'I used to listen to this when I was a teenager. All my mates were into Nirvana, and I was trying to say, 'Sonic Youth are better; they're more influential and intelligent."
www.sonicyouth.com
Pavement - Zurich is Stained
'This is one of their most mellow songs. It's very simple and has a warm glow'.
www.matadorrecords.com/pavement
Bob Dylan - Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
'A nice reflective song that helped me through the break-up with my first wife. When I go through break-ups, I listen to very sad miserable music, and then I don't usually touch those albums again'.
www.bobdylan.com
The Fall - Pay Your Rates
I was 16 or 17 and I was starting to pay my keep at home, and doing my A-levels and had a job. I'd put 'Pay Your Rates' on at high volume to prove to my mother that I was going through a bit of a difficult financial time. It's got that line, 'If your rates aren't high, well then they're not enough.'
www.visi.com/fall
Iggy and the Stooges - Penetration
'I've always been bisexual, I didn't see any difference between boys and girls, I thought this song was the first showing you that you could be a gay male, but also be strong, be normal and be yourself.'
www.iggypop.com
The Velvet Underground - Sister Ray
'The album 'White Light/White Heat' is a masterpiece. Lou Reed and John Cale are not speaking to each other, so they just turn up the amps full and start playing the songs.'
www.velvetunderground.com
Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up
'I had just come to London, I was 18 and it was a really positive time for me. 'Move On Up' reflects the period where I began dealing - doing shitloads of coke and partying like fuck.
www.soulwalking.co.uk/curtismayfield.html
Joy Division - Warsaw
'For my 21st birthday a guy I was hanging out with asked me what I wanted. I asked for a Joy Division album. So he went out and stole me the whole back catalogue in a four CD compilation. Out of all the birthday presents I've ever got, it's the one I remember most.'
www.members.aol.com/lwtua/joydiv.htm

No comments: